Thursday, July 19, 2012

Following a Dream

Leading outdoor adventure yoga retreats has been a dream of mine for quite some time, and is finally now becoming a reality! I finished my 200-hour Yoga Certification in Hatha and Vinyassa yoga through SchoolYoga Institute about a month ago, and am pursuing my dream. 

Perhaps you know me personally - or perhaps you have stumbled upon this site and know nothing about my background at all! So let me lay the back story: 

I am a West Virginia native with a love of the desert of southeast Utah, who has been transplanted to the Upper Valley of Vermont and New Hampshire. I left a desk job in January 2012 and have since been pursuing my dream of a more active lifestyle. I currently work at L.L.Bean in West Lebanon, NH where in addition to retail I am also a Kayak Instructor and Snowshoe Instructor for their Outdoor Discovery School. I also teach Spinning and Yoga classes at the Upper Valley Aquatic Center in White River Junction, VT. 

Growing up, I taught sailing in the summers and was also an avid sailboat racer on my local lake. In college and grad school, I studied geography - and developed a passion for travel. My thesis research took place in Canyonlands National Park (near Moab, Utah). While I find many aspects of nature amazing, I hold the canyon country of that area near and dear in my heart. There is an energy there that cannot be described, only experienced. 

In the coming months and years I hope to be offering several yoga retreats on an annual basis: 

  • An overnight kayaking/canoeing trip on the Connecticut River (held late summer/early fall)
  • A 'Yoga in Yurts' winter weekend, with optional snowshoeing and cross-country skiing (held late winter)
  • A 3-4 day Desert Adventure retreat in Moab, UT (includes hiking, rock climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, and a float trip on the Colorado river) - held fall and/or spring
Each Yoga Retreat will have twice daily yoga classes, morning meditation and breathwork, and an opportunity to commune with nature. A retreat from our busy lives, these retreats should leave our bodies and minds feeling refreshed. 

Please continue to check back on this blog for details about each of these retreats - which will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment